Stu:
Fail
活该你不及格
STUMPED!
Stu:
Our next term today during Gao Kao season is stumped.
我们今天学习的第二个关于高考季的词汇是“stumped”(被难住了)
That means when you get asked a question that’s so hard, you can’t even begin to answer it and you would say, “I’m stumped”.
意思是 如果你碰上了一个巨难的问题,让你无从下手
你可以说“I’m stumped”(我被难住了)
Ali:
And now the exam Gao Kao is very stressful, and if you fail the exam, well there is a lot of pressure on you and your parents.
高考确实是压力山大,如果考试失利,你和你父母都会面对很大的压力
And I think you as a Chinese student know that pretty much.
我觉得即将参加高考的学子们都明白这点
I remember when I took the Gao Kao,
我还记得当年我自己参加高考时
I got stumped when I was writing my name because my name is pretty long.
我被自己的名字难倒了,因为我的名字太长了
It's 8 characters in Chinese Nu er ai li a bu li zi and you know that’s really bad.
我的名字用中文写有八个字:努尔艾力·阿不利孜
写起来很麻烦的
But is this the same case in Britain?
话说英国也是这样吗?
Stu:
No, I never forget my name in Britain.
我可不会连自己叫啥都忘了
Okay
好吧
But anyway about the exams they are probably not as stressful as the Gao Kao.
不过英国的入学考试可能不像高考压力这么大
So, it’s a university entrance examination. In Britain we have something called A-levels.
在英国,我们那边的大学入学考试称作“A-levels”
Now when you’re 16 you have to choose which A-levels you want to do.
所有年满16岁的学生都可以选择自己要参加的A-level考试
You usually choose three or four. I chose three. It was easier.
通常可以选三到四门,我当时选了三门,相对简单
Anyway so these A-levels that you choose, they will be your subjects or courses that you will go on to study in the future.
你选择的考试科目将会是你未来要继续学习的课题或课程
So, you're basically deciding your future when you're 16.
可以说,基本上在你16岁的时候就要决定自己未来的发展方向了
So if you want to study Maths in university, you have to study Maths at A-level.
如果你希望在大学学习数学,那你就要参加数学的A-level考试
But I admit the Gao Kao is probably a bit more stressful than A-levels,
不过我得承认,相比A-level考试而言,高考的压力要大得多
because A-levels you just study a few subjects whereas the Gao Kao
因为A-level所包含的科目比较少
you study basically everything that you've ever ever, ever, ever studied.
而高考基本上就是在测试你之前学过的所有内容
Ali:
Indeed. We all know all that. That’s why we have so much homework.
说到我们心坎里去了,所以我们这里的作业负担超级重
Like this. Like this man. It’s a lot.
堆起来就像是这么高,这么的高,都可以堆积成小山了
And the one thing that’s very interesting about Gao Kao is that,
其实关于高考,有个比较有趣的地方
the part that gets the most attention in the Gao Kao section is where people have to write essays.
高考中最受关注的就是作文部分
800 words in Chinese for sure
写一篇800字的作文,当然是用中文写
but the topics are usually quite interesting but test everything.
但题目通常十分有趣,而且测试的内容真的可谓包罗万象
And also tests your range, and diversity of your knowledge.
此外这也能测试你的知识面
And I have some… actually I have some very interesting essay titles here. Do you want to try?
我今天也准备了一些有趣的作文题目,来试试?
Stu:
800 words? Easy!
才800字?小菜一碟!
Ali:
Oh I don’t think so, man.
是骡子是马,遛遛就知道啦
So how about the first one, “My thoughts on the post 90's generation”.
来看看第一个题目 “我眼中的90后”
Stu:
Okay, I would write something like this…“I was born in 1985,…”
好嘞,我会这么写... “我出生于1985年...”
Ali:
Okay we know your age.
嗯,这就开始报户口了
Stu:
Therefore I am not part of the post 90's generation. I’m part of the post 80's generation.
“所以我不算90后,而是一名80后”
As for my thoughts on the post 90's generation,they're all probably younger than me,
“至于我怎么看待90后的,他们可能年纪都比我小”
and therefore we probably don’t have much in common and we wouldn’t be friends. There we go.
“所以我们大概没啥共同语言,我跟他们没法好好玩耍。” 就酱紫啦
Ali:
And you failed.
说些什么乱七八糟的
Stu:
What? That’s good.
多好的文章啊
No. no way man! You are good at maths though. You know that you’re actually older than those born in the 90's.
好什么呀!不过你数学还真不错,你确实知道自己比90后要老很多
Oh let’s try another one. This one. I have a pair of invisible wings.
再试试这个吧 “我有一双隐形的翅膀”
